Thursday, March 6, 2014

This book got me thinking....

I actually splurged on a book. Resin Alchemy by Susan Lenart Kazmer. I bought the book because I thought it might help me work through some more complex projects in resin.

Instead I find myself immersed in the section she wrote on Choosing and Combining Objects specifically Item #3: Build A Piece From the Heart.

If I might quote from the book, "Building a piece from the heart is what distinguishes art from simple crafting. An artist has to put herself onto the canvas. Every artist knows that when you build a piece from your heart, you are exposing your true self -- and that will make you feel vulnerable, maybe even afraid...."

I think this explains why I'm never really happy with my work. I'm by nature, a very private person. While I constantly feel the need to create, I'm not willing to let others take a look at my 'true self'.

Sometimes I feel like my head is a jumble of thoughts.....brave and anxious, cautious and reckless, mothering and sensual. It's a constant push and pull of conflicting emotions. How may I ask do I possibly translate that into art?

I don't really honestly see myself as a great artist or even a potentially great artist. I'm not even sure I would call myself an artist.  I just know that I have to make things. It's kind of like breathing.

Well, this book has given me a great deal to think about. Although I'm not sure how to go about implementing these suggestions or even if I'm willing to.

I sometimes wish this blog was completely anonymous. Even just writing these words above makes me feel like I have exposed too much of  myself.




2 comments:

  1. I kinda have the same problem. I make jewelry. I love making it, but I don't ever wear any jewelry that I make. I think it comes from the lack of support I've had throughout my life on that front. I've been told before that making jewelry is a waste of time and that I should give it up by virtually my whole family. So even though I started out wanting to share with them, now I'm not really that comfortable with it. With my own family. It's even more difficult to post stuff on my blog. Eventually I think I'll get over it, just from the combination of getting more skilled and getting used to sharing. Maybe it's similar with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. It's jean! You said some things which are just perfect, as far as I can tell, You told the truth and were brave. I am honored to know you.
    xox jean !

    ReplyDelete