Monday, February 10, 2014

Now onto shops that are worth checking out!

Okay, I have been meaning to post this for a bit! See the bottom right hand corner of my blog? Yes, that's right, right there! See that list of great stuff? Well, I really want to tell you a bit about each one and why you might want to check them out!!!


So, I'm going to go out of order, because I am super excited about this first one!!

The Wire Guild!
1st the disclaimer: This IS a paid-membership site. No, I RARELY....make that never, join those. But this one was totally worth it. First, it's $6 (US) a month and you get two VIDEO tutorials included in that cost each month. Plus, the videos are awesome....the teacher actually fusses around with the wire a bit. I thought maybe good wire workers just looked at the wire and it behaved. LOL...the video shows even an expert wire worker needs to talk nice to the wire sometimes. And you know what? It makes me feel a whole bunch better. See, I live in a very small town, and I've never actually taken an in-person class in any of my 'mediums'. I pretty much learn via books, and purchased pdf tutorials and youtube videos.  This site, well, the videos are great and there is a forum which I have found very helpful.
I wish I could post a picture of the amazing work....but I think the images are protected. SO even if you will never, never, never join one of these sites, at least go and look at the beautiful wirework on the introductory pages. (:

And in case you are a new wire worker looking to buy wire, I have a few suggestions. Of course, you can always buy wire at www.riogrande.com. It's kind of a staple location for professional folks. But I'm not at the point where I want to buy that much wire!

So what if you are like me, and need a smaller amount at a reasonable price? Or what if you just like buying from a small family owned business? Well try this place:

Unkamen Supplies : This place is da-bomb! No honestly...I love this store. They have an awesome selection of base metals -- and silver and 'silver-alternatives' including a fine silver over copper wire that I kinda love. (:   Plus, have a question? Write them, and they get back to you ASAP! There shipping is also very, very reasonable which I can't say for a lot of places. Oh, and if you make chain maile? Well these folks have you covered. They also have a nice selection of other fun items including kits.  They have an etsy store as well, but I like their new website --it's colorful. One word of advice, if you are looking for something specific use the tabs or the search menu. The pictures are fun for browsing but can be a bit tricky if you are looking for a specific item.

Bellomodo:  This is a great all around supply place. They have all the basics and some fun stuff too. Their prices are also very reasonable especially when they have stuff on sale. PLUS, free shipping for orders over $14.99. I've shopped around and this deal is hard to beat...especially if you don't have lots to spend. (Most places don't give free shipping until $35 or more.)

Well, its just about time for me to goto sleep, BUT I want to include one more link today because this is another small shop with a wonderful owner.

Diva Designs
This lady makes AMAZING polymer clay tutorials.  I have the blended marbling one and the newest one about faux turquoise looks fabulous. In fact, if my swap partner for the bead swap (see previous post) adores turquoise, I'll be buying this tutorial ASAP.  (I plan to buy it down the road anyway, but that would just give me a great excuse!!! (: )

Okay...next time, I'm going to link some 'fantasy' shops! (:







No comments:

Post a Comment